VTKL - The Finnish Association for the Welfare of Older People is an active opinion leader supporting the wellbeing of elderly people and working for the benefit of member organizations.
VTKL was established in 1949 for promoting the welfare and social protection of the older population. It is a national cooperation organization for approximately 340 non profit associations working for the benefit of older people.
VTKL’s members include both local and nationwide associations. The member associations run things like home services and sheltered housing around the country. They also provide other services, volunteer work and arrange various day activities for older persons. Members of VTKL also include national organizations for pensioners and other associations that arrange, among other things, recreational and voluntary activities.
VTKL is also involved in international activities, for example by participating in congresses and the European AGE cooperation network.
VTKL receives substantial funding from the Finnish Slot Machine Association.
• VTKL participates in the work of policy development committees and groups in public administration and as a member in the activities of national cooperative organizations.
• VTKL offers its members information and advice in relation to current important issues, holds regional meetings and provides education.
• VTKL provides information about old age. The goal is to promote a positive attitude towards ageing and older people for the organizations and personnel working in the field.
• VTKL has published the magazine Vanhustyö (Work in the Field of Elderly Care) since 1950`s. The journal is published seven times a year and each issue carries a special theme.
Development and training
• Development projects aim to create new service models and provide latest knowledge for employees in the field. Projects are implemented in cooperation with member associations, local authorities and other partners. Results are published as reports and articles. Educational events organized by VTKL bring up current themes and issues in work with older people.
Support and advice for older people
Home repair advice for war veterans and the aged
• The Central Union has around 15 regional home repair experts who help veterans and older people in assessing and planning house renovation and applying repair allowances. If necessary they also help in finding contractors to carry out the repairs. The repair advice is provided free of charge.
Activities to alleviate loneliness
• “Circle of Friends” offers training for elderly care professionals and volunteers. It also offers group activities for older people suffering from loneliness.
Activities for seniors
• Activities for seniors include clubs, groups, volunteer activities, recreational activities and activities for informal carers in the Helsinki metropolitan area.Nationwide education for tutors.
The Day and Week of Older People
• Finland has celebrated The Day of Older People since 1954. The Day of Older People takes place on the first Sunday in October, and the following week is The Week of Older People. VTKL selects a theme for the week and produces a poster and a journal as inspirational material.
• Festivities and events are arranged during the week around the country focusing attention on ageing well.
The theme of the year 2016 is "I want to learn!”
Home help for older people
VTKL-palvelut Oy offers versatile domestic services and visiting nurses for the aged and handicapped in the metropolitan area. Domestic services include e.g. assistance with daily chores, cooking, washing clothes and cleaning up.
Satu Helin, Ph.D. (Health Sci., Nutr.) satu.helin (@) vtkl.fi
firstname.lastname (@) vtkl.fi
Malmin kauppatie 26, FI-00700 Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358 9 3508 6070
The Day and Week of Older People